Tribulus Terrestris is most often used for
Tribulus terrestris is an herb used in traditional Chinese medicine for the treatment of eye trouble, edema, stomach ailments, and sexual dysfunction. It is also used in Indian Ayurvedic medicine for the treatment of impotence and infertility, urogenital disorders, cardiovascular diseases, inflammation, and chronic pain.
Of the more than 70 compounds found in Tribulus terrestris, the most common include steroidal saponins and flavonoids, which are contained in the root and the fruit of the plant and appear to be largely responsible for its potential antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and anti-aging properties. The composition of Tribulus terrestris largely depends on its geographical origin.
Tribulus terrestris is commonly claimed to have aphrodisiac properties. There is indeed some evidence that it can improve sexual desire, increase sexual satisfaction, and reduce symptoms of erectile dysfunction (ED) in men and enhance libido in women. These effects seem to be most prominent in people who are experiencing some form of sexual dysfunction. Current evidence fails to support that claim that Tribulus terrestris elevates testosterone levels, as has been hypothesized.
None of the clinical trials that have studied the effects of Tribulus terrestris have reported an increase in adverse side effects when compared to placebo treatments. While no toxicology studies have been conducted in humans, rodent studies that have administered Tribulus terrestris at a dose of 500 mg per kilogram of body weight (mg/kg) for 28 days (equivalent to a human dose of 80 mg/kg) failed to observe any toxic side effects. In vitro studies have shown cytotoxic, genotoxic, and endocrine-disrupting effects of Tribulus terrestris, but it is unknown how this may translate to humans.
The mechanism by which Tribulus terrestris improves erectile function may involve an enhancement in the relaxation of penile smooth muscle tissue, increased intracavernous pressure, and elevated penile blood flow. These effects seem to be dependent on a greater release of nitric oxide (NO) from the endothelium of blood vessels.
Tribulus terrestris and its extracts may also have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties in vitro. Tribulus terrestris scavenges hydrogen peroxide and superoxide free radicals and increases the activity of the superoxide dismutase antioxidant enzyme. Furthermore, Tribulus terrestris might inhibit the production of inflammatory cytokines, including TNF-𝛼, IL-6, and IL-10.
If rodent research applies to humans, then the dosage of 5mg/kg of tribulus terrestris saponins should be effective.
Traditional dosages of the basic root powder are in the 5-6g range while the fruits are in the 2-3g range.
Unlock the full potential of Examine
- ^Chhatre S, Nesari T, Somani G, Kanchan D, Sathaye SPhytopharmacological overview of Tribulus terrestris.Pharmacogn Rev.(2014-Jan)
- ^Zhu W, Du Y, Meng H, Dong Y, Li LA review of traditional pharmacological uses, phytochemistry, and pharmacological activities of Tribulus terrestrisChem Cent J.(2017 Jul 11)
- ^Ștefănescu R, Tero-Vescan A, Negroiu A, Aurică E, Vari CEA Comprehensive Review of the Phytochemical, Pharmacological, and Toxicological Properties of L.Biomolecules.(2020-May-12)
- ^Kristian Leisegang, Renata FinelliAlternative medicine and herbal remedies in the treatment of erectile dysfunction: A systematic reviewArab J Urol.(2021 Jun 11)
- ^GamalEl Din SF, Abdel Salam MA, Mohamed MS, Ahmed AR, Motawaa AT, Saadeldin OA, Elnabarway RRTribulus terrestris versus placebo in the treatment of erectile dysfunction and lower urinary tract symptoms in patients with late-onset hypogonadism: A placebo-controlled studyUrologia.(2018 Sep 25)
- ^Kamenov Z, Fileva S, Kalinov K, Jannini EAEvaluation of the efficacy and safety of Tribulus terrestris in male sexual dysfunction-A prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trialMaturitas.(2017 May)
- ^Sellandi TM, Thakar AB, Baghel MSClinical study of Tribulus terrestris Linn. in Oligozoospermia: A double blind studyAyu.(2012 Jul)
- ^de Souza KZ, Vale FB, Geber SEfficacy of Tribulus terrestris for the treatment of hypoactive sexual desire disorder in postmenopausal women: a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trialMenopause.(2016 Nov)
- ^Postigo S, Lima SM, Yamada SS, dos Reis BF, da Silva GM, Aoki TAssessment of the Effects of Tribulus Terrestris on Sexual Function of Menopausal Women.Rev Bras Ginecol Obstet.(2016-Mar)
- ^Neychev V, Mitev VPro-sexual and androgen enhancing effects of Tribulus terrestris L.: Fact or Fiction.J Ethnopharmacol.(2016-Feb-17)
- ^Qureshi A, Naughton DP, Petroczi AA systematic review on the herbal extract Tribulus terrestris and the roots of its putative aphrodisiac and performance enhancing effect.J Diet Suppl.(2014-Mar)
- ^Murthy AR, Dubey SD, Tripathi KAnti-hypertensive effect of Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris Linn.) - A clinical studyAnc Sci Life.(2000 Jan)
- ^Mansoor Ahmad Siddiqui, Malik Itrat, Abdul Mobeen, Md Imran KhanEfficacy of Khār-i-khasak ( Tribulus terrestris Linn.) in prehypertension: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialJ Complement Integr Med.(2021 Apr 1)
- ^Samani NB, Jokar A, Soveid M, Heydari M, Mosavat SHEfficacy of the Hydroalcoholic Extract of Tribulus terrestris on the Serum Glucose and Lipid Profile of Women With Diabetes Mellitus: A Double-Blind Randomized Placebo-Controlled Clinical TrialJ Evid Based Complementary Altern Med.(2016 Oct)
- ^Ramteke RS, Thakar AB, Trivedi AH, Patil PDClinical efficacy of Gokshura-Punarnava Basti in the management of microalbuminuria in diabetes mellitus.Ayu.(2012-Oct)
- ^Singh S, Nair V, Gupta YKEvaluation of the aphrodisiac activity of Tribulus terrestris Linn. in sexually sluggish male albino rats.J Pharmacol Pharmacother.(2012-Jan)
- ^Abudayyak M, Jannuzzi AT, Özhan G, Alpertunga BInvestigation on the toxic potential of Tribulus terrestris in vitro.Pharm Biol.(2015-Apr)
- ^Do J, Choi S, Choi J, Hyun JSEffects and Mechanism of Action of a Tribulus terrestris Extract on Penile Erection.Korean J Urol.(2013-Mar)
- ^Adaikan PG, Gauthaman K, Prasad RN, Ng SCProerectile pharmacological effects of Tribulus terrestris extract on the rabbit corpus cavernosum.Ann Acad Med Singap.(2000-Jan)
- ^Kam SC, Do JM, Choi JH, Jeon BT, Roh GS, Hyun JSIn vivo and in vitro animal investigation of the effect of a mixture of herbal extracts from Tribulus terrestris and Cornus officinalis on penile erection.J Sex Med.(2012-Oct)
- ^Bhuvad et al.ASSESSMENT OF FREE RADICAL SCAVENGING ACTIVITY OF TEN MADHURASKANDHA DRUGS THROUGH UV SPECTROSCOPIC AND CHROMATOGRAPHIC TECHNIQUEInternational Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences.(2016-03-01)
- ^Li et al.Influence of gross saponins from tribulus terrestris L on SOD activity and MDA content for chronic high intraocular pressure in rabbitGuoji Yanke Zazhi.(2013-05-01)
- ^Ko HJ, Ahn EK, Oh JSN‑trans‑ρ‑caffeoyl tyramine isolated from Tribulus terrestris exerts anti‑inflammatory effects in lipopolysaccharide‑stimulated RAW 264.7 cells.Int J Mol Med.(2015-Oct)
- Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) - Samani NB, Jokar A, Soveid M, Heydari M, Mosavat SHEfficacy of Tribulus Terrestris Extract on the Serum Glucose and Lipids of Women with Diabetes MellitusIran J Med Sci.(2016 May)
- Erections - GamalEl Din SF, Abdel Salam MA, Mohamed MS, Ahmed AR, Motawaa AT, Saadeldin OA, Elnabarway RRTribulus terrestris versus placebo in the treatment of erectile dysfunction and lower urinary tract symptoms in patients with late-onset hypogonadism: A placebo-controlled studyUrologia.(2018 Sep 25)
- Erections - Roaiah MF, El Khayat YI, GamalEl Din SF, Abd El Salam MAPilot Study on the Effect of Botanical Medicine (Tribulus terrestris) on Serum Testosterone Level and Erectile Function in Aging Males With Partial Androgen Deficiency (PADAM)J Sex Marital Ther.(2016 May 18)
- Testosterone - Roaiah MF, Elkhayat YI, Saleh SF, Abd El Salam MAProspective Analysis on the Effect of Botanical Medicine (Tribulus terrestris) on Serum Testosterone Level and Semen Parameters in Males with Unexplained InfertilityJ Diet Suppl.(2016 Jun 23)
- Testosterone - Saudan C, Baume N, Emery C, Strahm E, Saugy MShort term impact of Tribulus terrestris intake on doping control analysis of endogenous steroidsForensic Sci Int.(2008 Jun 10)
- Erections - Kamenov Z, Fileva S, Kalinov K, Jannini EAEvaluation of the efficacy and safety of Tribulus terrestris in male sexual dysfunction-A prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trialMaturitas.(2017 May)
- Testosterone - Neychev VK, Mitev VIThe aphrodisiac herb Tribulus terrestris does not influence the androgen production in young menJ Ethnopharmacol.(2005 Oct 3)
- Follicle-Stimulating Hormone - Salgado RM, Marques-Silva MH, Gonçalves E, Mathias AC, Aguiar JG, Wolff PEffect of oral administration of Tribulus terrestris extract on semen quality and body fat index of infertile menAndrologia.(2017 Jun)
- Sperm Count - Sellandi TM, Thakar AB, Baghel MSClinical study of Tribulus terrestris Linn. in Oligozoospermia: A double blind studyAyu.(2012 Jul)
- Heart Rate - Murthy AR, Dubey SD, Tripathi KAnti-hypertensive effect of Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris Linn.) - A clinical studyAnc Sci Life.(2000 Jan)
- Sexual Function - Akhtari E, Raisi F, Keshavarz M, Hosseini H, Sohrabvand F, Bioos S, Kamalinejad M, Ghobadi ATribulus terrestris for treatment of sexual dysfunction in women: randomized double-blind placebo - controlled studyDaru.(2014 Apr 28)
- Sexual Function - de Souza KZ, Vale FB, Geber SEfficacy of Tribulus terrestris for the treatment of hypoactive sexual desire disorder in postmenopausal women: a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trialMenopause.(2016 Nov)
- Sexual Function - Vale FBC, Zanolla Dias de Souza K, Rezende CR, Geber SEfficacy of Tribulus Terrestris for the treatment of premenopausal women with hypoactive sexual desire disorder: a randomized double-blinded, placebo-controlled trialGynecol Endocrinol.(2018 May)
- Sexual Function - Gama CR, Lasmar R, Gama GF, Abreu CS, Nunes CP, Geller M, Oliveira L, Santos AClinical Assessment of Tribulus terrestris Extract in the Treatment of Female Sexual DysfunctionClin Med Insights Womens Health.(2014 Dec 22)
- Body Fat - Antonio J, Uelmen J, Rodriguez R, Earnest CThe effects of Tribulus terrestris on body composition and exercise performance in resistance-trained malesInt J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab.(2000 Jun)
- Body Fat - Rogerson S, Riches CJ, Jennings C, Weatherby RP, Meir RA, Marshall-Gradisnik SMThe effect of five weeks of Tribulus terrestris supplementation on muscle strength and body composition during preseason training in elite rugby league playersJ Strength Cond Res.(2007 May)