This goal refers to outcomes specifically related to running, such as running speed and endurance. Related faculties are muscular endurance, cardiovascular and pulmonary health, and conditioning.
Running Performance falls under theMuscle Gain & Exercisecategory.
Last Updated:August 16, 2022
Looking for a Supplement guide?Our Supplement Guides give you unbiased research-based recommendations that you can immediately apply to improve your health. Running Performance is related to the following Supplement Guide:
If you’re a marathoner (or training to be one), you may have noticed that many popular supplements intended to improve your physical performance, fall flat when used during endurance events. Pre-workout supplements and stimulants, for example, don’t work because a marathon typically lasts longer than the stimulant itself, leaving you crashing mid race. Even creatine, a supplement used to improve physical performance, is counterproductive because it results in temporary water weight gain, which makes running harder.
Carbohydrate supplements however, are far more effective than traditional physical performance enhancers. Gel packs, or energy gels, are ideal for improving marathon performance because they are easy to ingest during a race.
Energy gel supplementation
So what makes gel packs so effective? Runners talk about eating a big bowl of pasta the night before a race because “carb-loading” is a good way to increase glycogen levels. A lot of glycogen is used in the first 10 minutes of exercise, and the rate of glycogen use falls until it is depleted altogether.
Have you ever ‘hit the wall’ during a marathon?
Glycogen depletion is responsible for that feeling. Eating a lot of carbohydrates the night before might delay the wall, but it won’t necessarily prevent it altogether. This is why energy gels are an ideal way to get mid-race carbohydrates. They are dense and viscous, which reduces the risk of intestinal upset, even during exercise. Plus, they’re light and portable, which means you can carry them with you or easily snag a few from an aid station. Just don’t forget to properly dispose of the wrapper!
A recent study investigated whether energy gel supplementation in the middle of a race can help delay or prevent hitting the wall during a marathon. Researchers split non-elite marathon runners into two groups. One group was provided energy gels containing 20 grams of carbohydrates and 30 milligrams of caffeine (equivalent to one cup of tea), and were told to eat two before the race, one when they believed they had hit the wall, and another every 20 minutes afterward. The runners in the second group were left to fend for themselves. Researchers also monitored the water intake of both groups.
The results show that the energy gel group was able to maintain its speed throughout the marathon, while the control group began to drop off around the halfway point. Though both groups were running at about the same speed at the beginning of the marathon, researchers found significant differences at the last three checkpoints of the race, beginning at the 18 mile mark.
The runners supplementing energy gels averaged a completion time of 3:38.31 while the control group had an average completion time of 3:49.26. Energy gel supplementation was found to improve time by just over 10 minutes, or by about 5%.
Preparing for the race
Runners having trouble with energy levels or anxious about hitting ‘the wall’ for the first time can consider energy gel supplementation to improve their time and avoid getting hit by a ton of bricks.
Never try anything for the first time during a race. If energy gels sound right for you, try taking one or two during a long training run. You don’t want to find out gels disagree with you when you’re lining up at the starting line.
- Power Output - V Wyss, G P Ganzit, A RienziEffects of L-carnitine administration on VO2max and the aerobic-anaerobic threshold in normoxia and acute hypoxiaEur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol.(1990)
- Heart Rate - Gamze E Orer, Nevin A GuzelThe effects of acute L-carnitine supplementation on endurance performance of athletesJ Strength Cond Res.(2014 Feb)
- Aerobic Exercise Metrics - Colombani P, Wenk C, Kunz I, Krähenbühl S, Kuhnt M, Arnold M, Frey-Rindova P, Frey W, Langhans WEffects of L-carnitine supplementation on physical performance and energy metabolism of endurance-trained athletes: a double-blind crossover field studyEur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol.(1996)
- Power Output - Hofman Z, Smeets R, Verlaan G, Lugt Rv, Verstappen PAThe effect of bovine colostrum supplementation on exercise performance in elite field hockey playersInt J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab.(2002 Dec)
- Power Output - Pryor JL, Craig SA, Swensen TEffect of betaine supplementation on cycling sprint performanceJ Int Soc Sports Nutr.(2012 Apr 3)
- Oxygen Uptake - Armstrong LE, Casa DJ, Roti MW, Lee EC, Craig SA, Sutherland JW, Fiala KA, Maresh CMInfluence of betaine consumption on strenuous running and sprinting in a hot environmentJ Strength Cond Res.(2008 May)
- Power Output - Hobson RM, Saunders B, Ball G, Harris RC, Sale CEffects of β-alanine supplementation on exercise performance: a meta-analysisAmino Acids.(2012 Jul)
- Power Output - Derave W, Ozdemir MS, Harris RC, Pottier A, Reyngoudt H, Koppo K, Wise JA, Achten Ebeta-Alanine supplementation augments muscle carnosine content and attenuates fatigue during repeated isokinetic contraction bouts in trained sprintersJ Appl Physiol.(2007 Nov)
- Anaerobic Capacity - Sweeney KM, Wright GA, Glenn Brice A, Doberstein STThe effect of beta-alanine supplementation on power performance during repeated sprint activityJ Strength Cond Res.(2010 Jan)
- Power Output - Deminice R, Rosa FT, Franco GS, Jordao AA, de Freitas ECEffects of creatine supplementation on oxidative stress and inflammatory markers after repeated-sprint exercise in humansNutrition.(2013 Sep)
- Power Output - Wright GA, Grandjean PW, Pascoe DDThe effects of creatine loading on thermoregulation and intermittent sprint exercise performance in a hot humid environmentJ Strength Cond Res.(2007 Aug)
- Power Output - Ahmun RP, Tong RJ, Grimshaw PNThe effects of acute creatine supplementation on multiple sprint cycling and running performance in rugby playersJ Strength Cond Res.(2005 Feb)
- Power Output - Mielgo-Ayuso J, Calleja-Gonzalez J, Marqués-Jiménez D, Caballero-García A, Córdova A, Fernández-Lázaro DEffects of Creatine Supplementation on Athletic Performance in Soccer Players: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.Nutrients.(2019-Mar-31)
- Oxygen Uptake - Smith AE, Fukuda DH, Ryan ED, Kendall KL, Cramer JT, Stout JErgolytic/ergogenic effects of creatine on aerobic powerInt J Sports Med.(2011 Dec)
- Weight - Glaister M, Lockey RA, Abraham CS, Staerck A, Goodwin JE, McInnes GCreatine supplementation and multiple sprint running performanceJ Strength Cond Res.(2006 May)
- Anaerobic Capacity - Fukuda DH, Smith AE, Kendall KL, Dwyer TR, Kerksick CM, Beck TW, Cramer JT, Stout JRThe effects of creatine loading and gender on anaerobic running capacityJ Strength Cond Res.(2010 Jul)
- Anaerobic Capacity - Javierre C, Barbany JR, Bonjorn VM, Lizárraga MA, Ventura JL, Segura RCreatine supplementation and performance in 6 consecutive 60 meter sprintsJ Physiol Biochem.(2004 Dec)
- Swimming Performance Metrics - Mujika I, Chatard JC, Lacoste L, Barale F, Geyssant ACreatine supplementation does not improve sprint performance in competitive swimmersMed Sci Sports Exerc.(1996 Nov)
- Muscle Damage - Santos RV, Bassit RA, Caperuto EC, Costa Rosa LFThe effect of creatine supplementation upon inflammatory and muscle soreness markers after a 30km raceLife Sci.(2004 Sep 3)
- Power Output - Tan F, Polglaze T, Cox G, Dawson B, Mujika I, Clark SEffects of induced alkalosis on simulated match performance in elite female water polo playersInt J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab.(2010 Jun)
- Power Output - Price MJ, Simons CThe effect of sodium bicarbonate ingestion on high-intensity intermittent running and subsequent performanceJ Strength Cond Res.(2010 Jul)
- Power Output - Gaitanos GC, Nevill ME, Brooks S, Williams CRepeated bouts of sprint running after induced alkalosisJ Sports Sci.(1991 Winter)
- Power Output - Price MJ, Cripps DThe effects of combined glucose-electrolyte and sodium bicarbonate ingestion on prolonged intermittent exercise performanceJ Sports Sci.(2012)
- Power Output - Siegler JC, McNaughton LR, Midgley AW, Keatley S, Hillman AMetabolic alkalosis, recovery and sprint performanceInt J Sports Med.(2010 Nov)
- Anaerobic Capacity - Potteiger JA, Webster MJ, Nickel GL, Haub MD, Palmer RJThe effects of buffer ingestion on metabolic factors related to distance running performanceEur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol.(1996)
- Anaerobic Capacity - Bird SR, Wiles J, Robbins JThe effect of sodium bicarbonate ingestion on 1500-m racing timeJ Sports Sci.(1995 Oct)
- Anaerobic Capacity - Tiryaki GR, Atterbom HAThe effects of sodium bicarbonate and sodium citrate on 600 m running time of trained femalesJ Sports Med Phys Fitness.(1995 Sep)
- Power Output - Sleivert G, Burke V, Palmer C, Walmsley A, Gerrard D, Haines S, Littlejohn RThe effects of deer antler velvet extract or powder supplementation on aerobic power, erythropoiesis, and muscular strength and endurance characteristicsInt J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab.(2003 Sep)
- Power Output - Glaister M, Howatson G, Abraham CS, Lockey RA, Goodwin JE, Foley P, McInnes GCaffeine supplementation and multiple sprint running performanceMed Sci Sports Exerc.(2008 Oct)
- Anaerobic Capacity - Pontifex KJ, Wallman KE, Dawson BT, Goodman CEffects of caffeine on repeated sprint ability, reactive agility time, sleep and next day performanceJ Sports Med Phys Fitness.(2010 Dec)
- Power Output - Richard B. Kreider, Maria Pontes Ferreira, Michael Greenwood, M. Wilson, Pamela Grindstaff, Steven Plisk, Jeff Reinardy, Edward Cantler, and Anthony L. AmaldaEffects of Calcium β-HMB Supplementation During Training on Markers of Catabolism, Body Composition, Strength and Sprint PerformanceJournal of Exercise Physiology.()
- Oxygen Uptake - Choudhary B, Shetty A, Langade DGEfficacy of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera [L.] Dunal) in improving cardiorespiratory endurance in healthy athletic adultsAyu.(2015 Jan-Mar)
- Oxygen Uptake - Roberts LA, Beattie K, Close GL, Morton JPVitamin C consumption does not impair training-induced improvements in exercise performanceInt J Sports Physiol Perform.(2011 Mar)
- Cortisol - Palmer FM, Nieman DC, Henson DA, McAnulty SR, McAnulty L, Swick NS, Utter AC, Vinci DM, Morrow JDInfluence of vitamin C supplementation on oxidative and salivary IgA changes following an ultramarathonEur J Appl Physiol.(2003 Mar)
- Oxygen Uptake - Whitehead MT, Martin TD, Scheett TP, Webster MJRunning economy and maximal oxygen consumption after 4 weeks of oral Echinacea supplementationJ Strength Cond Res.(2012 Jul)
- Heart Rate - Murphy M, Eliot K, Heuertz RM, Weiss EWhole beetroot consumption acutely improves running performanceJ Acad Nutr Diet.(2012 Apr)
- Aerobic Exercise Metrics - Lansley KE, Winyard PG, Fulford J, Vanhatalo A, Bailey SJ, Blackwell JR, DiMenna FJ, Gilchrist M, Benjamin N, Jones AMDietary nitrate supplementation reduces the O2 cost of walking and running: a placebo-controlled studyJ Appl Physiol.(2011 Mar)
- Heart Rate - Ping FW, Keong CC, Bandyopadhyay AEffects of acute supplementation of Panax ginseng on endurance running in a hot & humid environmentIndian J Med Res.(2011 Jan)
- Aerobic Exercise Metrics - Toscano LT, Tavares RL, Toscano LT, Silva CS, Almeida AE, Biasoto AC, Gonçalves Mda C, Silva ASPotential ergogenic activity of grape juice in runnersAppl Physiol Nutr Metab.(2015 Sep)
- Aerobic Exercise Metrics - de Lima Tavares Toscano L, Silva AS, de França ACL, de Sousa BRV, de Almeida Filho EJB, da Silveira Costa M, Marques ATB, da Silva DF, de Farias Sena K, Cerqueira GS, da Conceição Rodrigues Gonçalves MA single dose of purple grape juice improves physical performance and antioxidant activity in runners: a randomized, crossover, double-blind, placebo studyEur J Nutr.(2019 Nov 15)
- Aerobic Exercise Metrics - Gualano AB, Bozza T, Lopes De Campos P, Roschel H, Dos Santos Costa A, Luiz Marquezi M, Benatti F, Herbert Lancha Junior ABranched-chain amino acids supplementation enhances exercise capacity and lipid oxidation during endurance exercise after muscle glycogen depletionJ Sports Med Phys Fitness.(2011 Mar)
- Aerobic Exercise Metrics - Blomstrand E, Hassmén P, Ekblom B, Newsholme EAAdministration of branched-chain amino acids during sustained exercise--effects on performance and on plasma concentration of some amino acidsEur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol.(1991)
- Aerobic Exercise Metrics - Erin E Sutton, M Regina Coill, Patricia A DeusterIngestion of tyrosine: effects on endurance, muscle strength, and anaerobic performanceInt J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab.(2005 Apr)
- Aerobic Exercise Metrics - Golf SW, Bender S, Grüttner JOn the significance of magnesium in extreme physical stressCardiovasc Drugs Ther.(1998 Sep)
- Aerobic Exercise Metrics - Woods A, Garvican-Lewis LA, Saunders PU, Lovell G, Hughes D, Fazakerley R, Anderson B, Gore CJ, Thompson KGFour weeks of IV iron supplementation reduces perceived fatigue and mood disturbance in distance runnersPLoS One.(2014 Sep 23)
- Time to run/walk 1.5 miles - K V O'Brien, L K Stewart, L A Forney, K J Aryana, W Prinyawiwatkul, C A BoenekeThe effects of postexercise consumption of a kefir beverage on performance and recovery during intensive endurance trainingJ Dairy Sci.(2015 Nov)
- Muscle Damage - Kingsley MI, Kilduff LP, McEneny J, Dietzig RE, Benton DPhosphatidylserine supplementation and recovery following downhill runningMed Sci Sports Exerc.(2006 Sep)