Q: Is creatine safe for your kidneys?
A: In people with healthy kidneys, long-term creatine supplementation is safe, but there are no long-term creatine studies in people with kidney issues. For these people, using a low dose of creatine (if any) would be prudent.
Read full answer to "Is creatine safe for your kidneys?"
Follow this Page for updates
Q: Is creatine safe for your kidneys?
The Human Effect Matrix looks at human studies (it excludes animal and in vitro studies) to tell you what supplements affect creatinine
|Grade||Level of Evidence|
|Robust research conducted with repeated double-blind clinical trials|
|Multiple studies where at least two are double-blind and placebo controlled|
|Single double-blind study or multiple cohort studies|
|Uncontrolled or observational studies only|
Level of Evidence
? The amount of high quality evidence. The more evidence, the more we can trust the results.
Magnitude of effect
? The direction and size of the supplement's impact on each outcome. Some supplements can have an increasing effect, others have a decreasing effect, and others have no effect.
Consistency of research results
? Scientific research does not always agree. HIGH or VERY HIGH means that most of the scientific research agrees.
All comparative evidence is now gathered in our A-to-Z Supplement Reference.
The evidence for each separate supplement is still freely available here.
|Green Coffee Extract|
Via HEM and FAQ:
- Brosnan JT, Brosnan ME. Creatine: endogenous metabolite, dietary, and therapeutic supplement . Annu Rev Nutr. (2007)
- Braissant O, et al. Creatine deficiency syndromes and the importance of creatine synthesis in the brain . Amino Acids. (2011)
- Samra M, Abcar AC. False estimates of elevated creatinine . Perm J. (2012)
- Baxmann AC, et al. Influence of muscle mass and physical activity on serum and urinary creatinine and serum cystatin C . Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. (2008)
- Morton RW, et al. A systematic review, meta-analysis and meta-regression of the effect of protein supplementation on resistance training-induced gains in muscle mass and strength in healthy adults . Br J Sports Med. (2018)
- Sahni S, et al. Higher Protein Intake Is Associated with Higher Lean Mass and Quadriceps Muscle Strength in Adult Men and Women . J Nutr. (2015)
- Alexandrov NV, et al. Dietary Protein Sources and Muscle Mass over the Life Course: The Lifelines Cohort Study . Nutrients. (2018)
- Williamson L, New D. How the use of creatine supplements can elevate serum creatinine in the absence of underlying kidney pathology . BMJ Case Rep. (2014)
- McCall W, Persky AM. Pharmacokinetics of creatine . Subcell Biochem. (2007)
- Poortmans JR, Francaux M. Adverse effects of creatine supplementation: fact or fiction? . Sports Med. (2000)
- Farquhar WB, Zambraski EJ. Effects of creatine use on the athlete's kidney . Curr Sports Med Rep. (2002)
- Pline KA, Smith CL. The effect of creatine intake on renal function . Ann Pharmacother. (2005)
- Francaux M, Poortmans JR. Side effects of creatine supplementation in athletes . Int J Sports Physiol Perform. (2006)
- Persky AM, Rawson ES. Safety of creatine supplementation . Subcell Biochem. (2007)
- Kim HJ, et al. Studies on the safety of creatine supplementation . Amino Acids. (2011)
- Gualano B, et al. In sickness and in health: the widespread application of creatine supplementation . Amino Acids. (2012)
- Kreider RB, et al. International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: safety and efficacy of creatine supplementation in exercise, sport, and medicine . J Int Soc Sports Nutr. (2017)
- Ropero-Miller JD, et al. Effect of oral creatine supplementation on random urine creatinine, pH, and specific gravity measurements . Clin Chem. (2000)
- Poortmans JR, Francaux M. Long-term oral creatine supplementation does not impair renal function in healthy athletes . Med Sci Sports Exerc. (1999)
- Mihic S, et al. Acute creatine loading increases fat-free mass, but does not affect blood pressure, plasma creatinine, or CK activity in men and women . Med Sci Sports Exerc. (2000)
- Gualano B, et al. Effect of short-term high-dose creatine supplementation on measured GFR in a young man with a single kidney . Am J Kidney Dis. (2010)
- Gualano B, et al. Creatine supplementation does not impair kidney function in type 2 diabetic patients: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, clinical trial . Eur J Appl Physiol. (2011)
- Taes YE, et al. Creatine supplementation does not decrease total plasma homocysteine in chronic hemodialysis patients . Kidney Int. (2004)
- Shelmadine BD, Hudson GM, Buford TW et al.. The effects of supplementation of creatine on total homocysteine . J Ren Nurs.. (2012)
Cite this page
"Creatinine," Examine.com, published on 5 July 2013, last updated on 29 April 2017, https://examine.com/topics/creatinine/