Resveratrol is a molecule found in wine that is believed to be effective at protecting the heart. It seems to improve blood flow and may be an insulin sensitizer. It may hypothetically increase lifespan, but the evidence that it does so in mammals is limited.
Resveratrol is most often used for
Resveratrol is a compound present in grapes. It is most well-known for its presence in red wine. The popularity of this compound is attributed to a phenomenon called the “French Paradox”, which refers to the low incidence of cardiovascular disease among the French population despite their high intake of dietary fat. This low incidence was thought to be attributed to their intake of red wine.
While resveratrol is best known for its potential cardiovascular benefits, the compound has been the subject of multiple studies focused on its other potential benefits.
Resveratrol is thought to be beneficial for atherosclerosis prevention based on promising results from in vitro studies regarding potential molecular targets of resveratrol in atherosclerotic arteries and on the effects of resveratrol on low-density lipoproteins (LDL). In rodent studies, resveratrol displayed modest enhancements for vasorelaxation and blood flow and provided benefits in rodent models of type 2 diabetes.
Based on in vivo studies evaluating potential fat loss benefits from resveratrol, the compound may cause some fat loss, although this is most likely an insignificant effect. The benefits are modest and overall have no effect on fat loss over the short term.
Several mechanisms are proposed as to how resveratrol may exert its cardioprotective effects. Resveratrol may inhibit pro-hypertrophic signaling molecules, improve myocardial calcium handling, and reduce oxidative stress and inflammation.
- Red Wine Extract
- 3 5 4'-trihydroxystilbene
The lower end of supplementation tends to be for cardiovascular health, insulin sensitivity, and longevity for somebody who is otherwise unhealthy is 5-10mg daily. For persons who are otherwise healthy, dosages between the range of 150-445mg have been used (with no clear indication for what is the optimal dose).
Supplementing for cerebral blood flow requires a dose in the 250-500mg range whereas supplementation for aromatase inhibition requires 500mg as well.
Supplementation of resveratrol refers to trans-resveratrol exclusively.
Unlock the full potential of Examine
- ^Lippi G, Franchini M, Favaloro EJ, Targher GModerate red wine consumption and cardiovascular disease risk: beyond the "French paradox".Semin Thromb Hemost.(2010-Feb)
- ^Kao CL, Chen LK, Chang YL, Yung MC, Hsu CC, Chen YC, Lo WL, Chen SJ, Ku HH, Hwang SJResveratrol protects human endothelium from H(2)O(2)-induced oxidative stress and senescence via SirT1 activation.J Atheroscler Thromb.(2010-Sep-30)
- ^Zou J, Huang Y, Chen Q, Wei E, Cao K, Wu JMEffects of resveratrol on oxidative modification of human low density lipoprotein.Chin Med J (Engl).(2000-Feb)
- ^Zou JG, Huang YZ, Chen Q, Wei EH, Hsieh TC, Wu JMResveratrol inhibits copper ion-induced and azo compound-initiated oxidative modification of human low density lipoprotein.Biochem Mol Biol Int.(1999-Jun)
- ^Mizutani K, Ikeda K, Kawai Y, Yamori YResveratrol attenuates ovariectomy-induced hypertension and bone loss in stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats.J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo).(2000-Apr)
- ^Rush JW, Quadrilatero J, Levy AS, Ford RJChronic resveratrol enhances endothelium-dependent relaxation but does not alter eNOS levels in aorta of spontaneously hypertensive rats.Exp Biol Med (Maywood).(2007-Jun)
- ^Minakawa M, Kawano A, Miura Y, Yagasaki KHypoglycemic effect of resveratrol in type 2 diabetic model db/db mice and its actions in cultured L6 myotubes and RIN-5F pancreatic β-cells.J Clin Biochem Nutr.(2011-May)
- ^Brasnyó P, Molnár GA, Mohás M, Markó L, Laczy B, Cseh J, Mikolás E, Szijártó IA, Mérei A, Halmai R, Mészáros LG, Sümegi B, Wittmann IResveratrol improves insulin sensitivity, reduces oxidative stress and activates the Akt pathway in type 2 diabetic patientsBr J Nutr.(2011 Aug)
- ^Hoseini A, Namazi G, Farrokhian A, Reiner Ž, Aghadavod E, Bahmani F, Asemi ZThe effects of resveratrol on metabolic status in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and coronary heart disease.Food Funct.(2019-Sep-01)
- ^Marlies de Ligt, Maaike Bergman, Rodrigo Mancilla Fuentes, Hans Essers, Esther Moonen-Kornips, Bas Havekes, Vera B Schrauwen-Hinderling, Patrick SchrauwenNo effect of resveratrol supplementation after 6 months on insulin sensitivity in overweight adults: a randomized trialAm J Clin Nutr.(2020 Jun 3)
- ^Timmers S, Konings E, Bilet L, Houtkooper RH, van de Weijer T, Goossens GH, Hoeks J, van der Krieken S, Ryu D, Kersten S, Moonen-Kornips E, Hesselink MK, Kunz I, Schrauwen-Hinderling VB, Blaak EE, Auwerx J, Schrauwen PCalorie restriction-like effects of 30 days of resveratrol supplementation on energy metabolism and metabolic profile in obese humansCell Metab.(2011 Nov 2)
- ^Ketan R Patel, Edwina Scott, Victoria A Brown, Andreas J Gescher, William P Steward, Karen BrownClinical trials of resveratrolAnn N Y Acad Sci.(2011 Jan)
- ^Howells LM, Berry DP, Elliott PJ, Jacobson EW, Hoffmann E, Hegarty B, Brown K, Steward WP, Gescher AJPhase I randomized, double-blind pilot study of micronized resveratrol (SRT501) in patients with hepatic metastases--safety, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics.Cancer Prev Res (Phila).(2011-Sep)
- ^Salehi B, Mishra AP, Nigam M, Sener B, Kilic M, Sharifi-Rad M, Fokou PVT, Martins N, Sharifi-Rad JResveratrol: A Double-Edged Sword in Health Benefits.Biomedicines.(2018-Sep-09)
- Blood Flow - Magyar K, Halmosi R, Palfi A, Feher G, Czopf L, Fulop A, Battyany I, Sumegi B, Toth K, Szabados ECardioprotection by resveratrol: A human clinical trial in patients with stable coronary artery diseaseClin Hemorheol Microcirc.(2012 Jan 1)
- DNA methylation - Zhu W, Qin W, Zhang K, Rottinghaus GE, Chen YC, Kliethermes B, Sauter ERTrans-resveratrol alters mammary promoter hypermethylation in women at increased risk for breast cancerNutr Cancer.(2012 Apr)
- Fatigue Symptoms - Kennedy DO, Wightman EL, Reay JL, Lietz G, Okello EJ, Wilde A, Haskell CFEffects of resveratrol on cerebral blood flow variables and cognitive performance in humans: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover investigationAm J Clin Nutr.(2010 Jun)
- General Oxidation - Brasnyó P, Molnár GA, Mohás M, Markó L, Laczy B, Cseh J, Mikolás E, Szijártó IA, Mérei A, Halmai R, Mészáros LG, Sümegi B, Wittmann IResveratrol improves insulin sensitivity, reduces oxidative stress and activates the Akt pathway in type 2 diabetic patientsBr J Nutr.(2011 Aug)
- Glycemic Control - Crandall JP, Oram V, Trandafirescu G, Reid M, Kishore P, Hawkins M, Cohen HW, Barzilai NPilot Study of Resveratrol in Older Adults With Impaired Glucose ToleranceJ Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci.(2012 Jan 4)
- Triglycerides - Timmers S, Konings E, Bilet L, Houtkooper RH, van de Weijer T, Goossens GH, Hoeks J, van der Krieken S, Ryu D, Kersten S, Moonen-Kornips E, Hesselink MK, Kunz I, Schrauwen-Hinderling VB, Blaak EE, Auwerx J, Schrauwen PCalorie restriction-like effects of 30 days of resveratrol supplementation on energy metabolism and metabolic profile in obese humansCell Metab.(2011 Nov 2)
- Exercise Adaptations - Lasse Gliemann, Jakob Friis Schmidt, Jesper Olesen, Rasmus Sjørup Biensø, Sebastian Louis Peronard, Simon Udsen Grandjean, Stefan Peter Mortensen, Michael Nyberg, Jens Bangsbo, Henriette Pilegaard and Ylva HellstenResveratrol Blunts the Positive Effects of Exercise Training on Cardiovascular Health in Aged MenThe Journal of Physiology.()
- Fat Oxidation - Scribbans TD, Ma JK, Edgett BA, Vorobej KA, Mitchell AS, Zelt JG, Simpson CA, Quadrilatero J, Gurd BJResveratrol supplementation does not augment performance adaptations or fibre-type-specific responses to high-intensity interval training in humansAppl Physiol Nutr Metab.(2014 Nov)
- Acne Symptoms - Gabriella Fabbrocini, Stefania Staibano, Giuseppe De Rosa, Valeria Battimiello, Nunzio Fardella, Gennaro Ilardi, Maria Immacolata La Rotonda, Amelia Longobardi, Marialuisa Mazzella, Maria Siano, Francesco Pastore, Valerio De Vita, Maria Luisa Vecchione, Fabio AyalaResveratrol-containing gel for the treatment of acne vulgaris: a single-blind, vehicle-controlled, pilot studyAm J Clin Dermatol.(2011 Apr 1)