Body Mass Index (BMI)
BMI is not a highly accurate measure of obesity. That being said, it can be useful as a complementary datum. BMI has a high rate of false negatives, particularly among females, with nearly half of obese people being classified as normal or overweight in some studies. The amount of false positives, on the other hand, is surprisingly small: less than 5% in men and 1% in women, according to one study.
Last Updated:April 4, 2023
BMI, or Body Mass Index, is a simple formula using a person's height and weight to calculate a number which is supposedly representative of their level of body fat.
The formula itself is:
- Weight (kg) / Height (m)2
- (Weight (lbs) * 703) / Height (in)2
And the numerical value fits into the following categories:
- Less than 18.5 is seen as underweight
- 18.5-24.9 is seen as average weight and is usually a target range
- 25-29.9 is seen as overweight
- 30 and above is seen as obese
In the obese category, it is further divided into 30-34.9 (Class I Obesity), 35-39.9 (Class II Obesity) and 40+ (Morbid Obesity). The first two classes are seen as at-risk populations whereas health complications associated with obesity are assumed in a state of Morbid Obesity.
BMI tends to be used in large-scale population research and surveys as it can be calculated from height and weight, either self-reported or taken quickly and non-invasively by a researcher.
It has the benefits of being quick, easy to calculate, and a measure of body fat in which most of the population will consent to (unlike calipers which are invasive due to touching skin with cold metal objects, and hydrostatic weighing which dunks people in water without oxygen in their lungs).
An exception to this is the NHANES series of studies, a large scale series of studies conducted in the US that assesses persons by calipers.
If you are normal weight or overweight according to BMI (18.5-29.9) there is still a chance you are actually obese, and thus is primarily due to low levels of lean mass (muscle, water, and glycogen).
If you are obese according to BMI, you are most likely obese according to body fat percentage as well. When sampling from the general population, over 95% of men and 99% of women identified as obese by BMI were obese via body fat levels.
Outliers to this dataset, those who have enough lean mass to be classified as obese by BMI but not by body fat percentage, are far and few in society. These persons would normally be highly active athletes or dedicated 'weekend warriors', and it is unlikely sedentary persons or those with infrequent exercise habits would be these outliers.
Unlock the full potential of Examine
- ^[No authors listedPhysical status: the use and interpretation of anthropometry. Report of a WHO Expert CommitteeWorld Health Organ Tech Rep Ser.(1995)
- ^Measuring Adiposity in Patients: The Utility of Body Mass Index (BMI), Percent Body Fat, and Leptin
- ^Okorodudu DO, Jumean MF, Montori VM, Romero-Corral A, Somers VK, Erwin PJ, Lopez-Jimenez FDiagnostic performance of body mass index to identify obesity as defined by body adiposity: a systematic review and meta-analysisInt J Obes (Lond).(2010 May)
- ^Duncan JS, Duncan EK, Schofield GAccuracy of body mass index (BMI) thresholds for predicting excess body fat in girls from five ethnicitiesAsia Pac J Clin Nutr.(2009)
- ^Laurson KR, Eisenmann JC, Welk GJBody Mass Index standards based on agreement with health-related body fatAm J Prev Med.(2011 Oct)
- ^Accuracy of Body Mass Index to Diagnose Obesity In the US Adult Population
- ^Kennedy AP, Shea JL, Sun GComparison of the classification of obesity by BMI vs. dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry in the Newfoundland populationObesity (Silver Spring).(2009 Nov)
- ^Peltz G, Aguirre MT, Sanderson M, Fadden MKThe role of fat mass index in determining obesityAm J Hum Biol.(2010 Sep-Oct)
- ^Accuracy of current body mass index obesity classification for white, black and Hispanic reproductive-age women
- Paleolithic Diet - Ehsan Ghaedi, Mohammad Mohammadi, Hamed Mohammadi, Nahid Ramezani-Jolfaie, Janmohamad Malekzadeh, Mahdieh Hosseinzadeh, Amin Salehi-AbargoueiEffects of a Paleolithic Diet on Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled TrialsAdv Nutr.(2019 Jul 1)
- Vegan Diet - Hana Kahleova, Andrea Tura, Martin Hill, Richard Holubkov, Neal D BarnardA Plant-Based Dietary Intervention Improves Beta-Cell Function and Insulin Resistance in Overweight Adults: A 16-Week Randomized Clinical TrialNutrients.(2018 Feb 9)
- Fish Oil - Paula Simplício da Silva, Mauro Felippe Felix Mediano, Gilberto Marcelo Sperandio da Silva, Patricia Dias de Brito, Claudia Santos de Aguiar Cardoso, Cristiane Fonseca de Almeida, Luiz Henrique Conde Sangenis, Roberta Olmo Pinheiro, Alejandro Marcel Hasslocher-Moreno, Pedro Emmanuel Alvarenga Americano do Brasil, Andrea Silvestre de SousaOmega-3 supplementation on inflammatory markers in patients with chronic Chagas cardiomyopathy: a randomized clinical studyNutr J.(2017 Jun 9)
- Paleolithic Diet - C Mellberg, S Sandberg, M Ryberg, M Eriksson, S Brage, C Larsson, T Olsson, B LindahlLong-term effects of a Palaeolithic-type diet in obese postmenopausal women: a 2-year randomized trialEur J Clin Nutr.(2014 Mar)
- Paleolithic Diet - Ehrika Vanessa Almeida de Menezes, Helena Alves de Carvalho Sampaio, Antônio Augusto Ferreira Carioca, Nara Andrade Parente, Filipe Oliveira Brito, Thereza Maria Magalhães Moreira, Ana Célia Caetano de Souza, Soraia Pinheiro Machado ArrudaInfluence of Paleolithic diet on anthropometric markers in chronic diseases: systematic review and meta-analysisNutr J.(2019 Jul 23)
- Kefir - Yasamin Fathi, Shiva Faghih, Mohammad Javad Zibaeenezhad, Sayed Hamid Reza TabatabaeiKefir drink leads to a similar weight loss, compared with milk, in a dairy-rich non-energy-restricted diet in overweight or obese premenopausal women: a randomized controlled trialEur J Nutr.(2016 Feb)
- Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) Diet - Robert D Abbott, Adam Sadowski, Angela G AltEfficacy of the Autoimmune Protocol Diet as Part of a Multi-disciplinary, Supported Lifestyle Intervention for Hashimoto's ThyroiditisCureus.(2019 Apr 27)
- Paleolithic Diet - Barbara Frączek, Aleksandra Pięta, Adrian Burda, Paulina Mazur-Kurach, Florentyna TyrałaPaleolithic Diet-Effect on the Health Status and Performance of Athletes?Nutrients.(2021 Mar 21)
- Vegan Diet - Hana Kahleova, James McCann, Jihad Alwarith, Emilie Rembert, Andrea Tura, Richard Holubkov, Neal D BarnardA plant-based diet in overweight adults in a 16-week randomized clinical trial: The role of dietary acid loadClin Nutr ESPEN.(2021 Aug)
- Kefir - Ghizi ACdS et alKefir improves blood parameters and reduces cardiovascular risks in patients with metabolic syndromePharmaNutrition.()
- Vegan Diet - Ann-Charlotte Elkan, Beatrice Sjöberg, Björn Kolsrud, Bo Ringertz, Ingiäld Hafström, Johan FrostegårdGluten-free vegan diet induces decreased LDL and oxidized LDL levels and raised atheroprotective natural antibodies against phosphorylcholine in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a randomized studyArthritis Res Ther.(2008)
- Panax Ginseng - E. Azizi, F. MoradiThe effect of ginseng supplementation on anabolic index, muscle strength, body composition, and testosterone and cortisol response to acute resistance exercise in male bodybuildersDepartment of Physical Education and Sport Sciences.()
- Tart Cherry Juice - Johnson SA, Navaei N, Pourafshar S, Jaime SJ, Akhavan NS, Alvarez-Alvarado S, Proaño GV, Litwin NS, Clark EA, Foley EM, George KS, Elam ML, Payton ME, Arjmandi BH, Figueroa AEffects of Montmorency Tart Cherry Juice Consumption on Cardiometabolic Biomarkers in Adults with Metabolic Syndrome: A Randomized Controlled Pilot Trial.J Med Food.(2020-Dec)
- Tart Cherry Juice - Moosavian SP, Maharat M, Chambari M, Moradi F, Rahimlou MEffects of tart cherry juice consumption on cardio-metabolic risk factors: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized-controlled trials.Complement Ther Med.(2022-Dec)
- Magnesium - Farsinejad-Marj M, Azadbakht L, Mardanian F, Saneei P, Esmaillzadeh AClinical and Metabolic Responses to Magnesium Supplementation in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.Biol Trace Elem Res.(2020-Aug)
- Magnesium - Reihaneh Mousavi, Mohammad Alizadeh, Mohammad Asghari Jafarabadi, Lida Heidari, Roshan Nikbakht, Hossein Babaahmadi Rezaei, Majid KarandishEffects of Melatonin and/or Magnesium Supplementation on Biomarkers of Inflammation and Oxidative Stress in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: a Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled TrialBiol Trace Elem Res.(2021 May 19)
- Magnesium - Asbaghi O, Hosseini R, Boozari B, Ghaedi E, Kashkooli S, Moradi SThe Effects of Magnesium Supplementation on Blood Pressure and Obesity Measure Among Type 2 Diabetes Patient: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.Biol Trace Elem Res.(2021-Feb)
- Magnesium - Masoumeh Rafiee, Abed Ghavami, Ali Rashidian, Amir Hadi, Gholamreza AskariThe effect of magnesium supplementation on anthropometric indices: a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of clinical trialsBr J Nutr.(2020 Jul 28)
- Magnesium - Askari M, Mozaffari H, Jafari A, Ghanbari M, Darooghegi Mofrad MThe effects of magnesium supplementation on obesity measures in adults: a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr.(2021)
- Zinc - Ghaedi K, Ghasempour D, Jowshan M, Zheng M, Ghobadi S, Jafari AEffect of zinc supplementation in the management of type 2 diabetes: A grading of recommendations assessment, development, and evaluation-assessed, dose-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr.(2023-May-15)
- Curcumin - Unhapipatpong C, Polruang N, Shantavasinkul PC, Julanon N, Numthavaj P, Thakkinstian AThe effect of curcumin supplementation on weight loss and anthropometric indices: an umbrella review and updated meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials.Am J Clin Nutr.(2023-May)
- Curcumin - M H Ngu, M N Norhayati, Z Rosnani, M M ZulkifliCurcumin as adjuvant treatment in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver (NAFLD) disease: A systematic review and meta-analysisComplement Ther Med.(2022 Sep)
- Curcumin - Nima Baziar, Mohammad ParohanThe effects of curcumin supplementation on body mass index, body weight, and waist circumference in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: A systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsPhytother Res.(2020 Mar)
- Curcumin - Mousavi SM, Milajerdi A, Varkaneh HK, Gorjipour MM, Esmaillzadeh AThe effects of curcumin supplementation on body weight, body mass index and waist circumference: a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr.(2020)
- Curcumin - Jafarirad S, Mansoori A, Adineh A, Panahi Y, Hadi A, Goodarzi RDoes Turmeric/curcumin Supplementation Change Anthropometric Indices in Patients with Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease? A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.Clin Nutr Res.(2019-Jul)
- Curcumin - Akbari M, Lankarani KB, Tabrizi R, Ghayour-Mobarhan M, Peymani P, Ferns G, Ghaderi A, Asemi ZThe Effects of Curcumin on Weight Loss Among Patients With Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.Front Pharmacol.(2019)
- Taurine - Lin Guan, Peng MiaoThe effects of taurine supplementation on obesity, blood pressure and lipid profile: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsEur J Pharmacol.(2020 Oct 15)
- Berberine - Mohammad Reza Amini, Fatemeh Sheikhhossein, Sina Naghshi, Farhang Djafari, Mohammadreza Askari, Hossein Shahinfar, Maryam Safabakhsh, Alireza Jafari, Sakineh Shab-BidarEffects of berberine and barberry on anthropometric measures: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsComplement Ther Med.(2020 Mar)
- Berberine - Xie L, Zhang D, Ma H, He H, Xia Q, Shen W, Chang H, Deng Y, Wu Q, Cong J, Wang CC, Wu XThe Effect of Berberine on Reproduction and Metabolism in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Control Trials.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med.(2019)
- Inositol - Miñambres I, Cuixart G, Gonçalves A, Corcoy REffects of inositol on glucose homeostasis: Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsClin Nutr.(2019 Jun)
- Inositol - Greff D, Juhász AE, Váncsa S, Váradi A, Sipos Z, Szinte J, Park S, Hegyi P, Nyirády P, Ács N, Várbíró S, Horváth EMInositol is an effective and safe treatment in polycystic ovary syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Reprod Biol Endocrinol.(2023-Jan-26)
- Chromium - Tsang C, Taghizadeh M, Aghabagheri E, Asemi Z, Jafarnejad SA meta-analysis of the effect of chromium supplementation on anthropometric indices of subjects with overweight or obesity.Clin Obes.(2019-Aug)
- Chromium - Tang XL, Sun Z, Gong LChromium supplementation in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: Systematic review and meta-analysisJ Obstet Gynaecol Res.(2018 Jan)